Spring is here! If you haven’t done your spring maintenance on your home … NOW’s the time! These tips will just take a few minutes, but can save you money and hassle in the future.
Spring Maintenance Tips
- Check smoke detectors & carbon monoxide detectors by pressing the test button. Be sure to change the batteries at the same time.
- Replace or clean your furnace filter. This will keep the air in your house cleaner, make your furnace more efficient, and help lower your heating bills.
- Check for damage to your roof. Winter’s snow, ice, and wind can wreak havoc on your roof. Inspect it for missing or broken shingles — using a pair of binoculars will keep you off a ladder! Even the best shingles may need to be replaced.
- Inspect your vinyl siding. Check for cracks or damaged siding; replace or repair. The biggest threat to siding is the wind. Wind can catch seams and corners and tear the siding off the walls. This then allows water into the wall cavity, causing water damage.
- Clean up your yard. The winter leaves behind debris, so rake your yard and pick up branches and twigs. Raking the lawn will remove thatch and snow mold, exposing the grass to sun and rain.
- Fertilize your lawn. The grass is desperate for a dose of nitrogen in the spring. A little fertilizer will help it get off to a great start and strengthen it to withstand the stresses of the summer ahead.